After more than 30 years in the medical device industry, Tom Wilson founded VMG Biomedical to help companies and individuals bring new medical device concepts to market.
Tom holds undergraduate and graduate engineering degrees in biomedical and mechanical engineering and has held engineering and leadership positions in start-ups through large companies with direct involvement in all facets of the business from concept through commercialization. He has spent a significant amount of time in the field in the US and abroad, generating a thorough understanding of markets, pathologies, and clinical procedures. As a result, he brings a comprehensive perspective on engineering, business development, and commercialization of medical devices.
VMG Biomedical leverages this experience and an extensive network of resources to identify, evaluate, and develop clinical opportunities.
- Vice President of R&D at Onkos Surgical, an early-stage medtech company providing standard and personalized implants and instrumentation for orthopedic oncology and complex revision surgeries. Responsible for engineering team development, innovation portfolio, medical consultants, and IP portfolio.
- Co-founder of Interact Medical, a medtech start-up focused on personalized maxillofacial implants, including metal 3D-printed and resorbable materials.
- Vice President R&D at Spine Wave, a Connecticut start-up focused on minimally invasive spinal implants and procedures for motion preservation, fusion, and fixation. Responsible for R&D team development, product portfolio development, medical consultants, and IP portfolio.
- Manager of Spinal Interbody Fusion at Surgical Dynamics. Responsible for metal and allograft interbody fusion portfolio
- Manager of Spinal Allograft Tissue Partnerships at Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation. Responsible for marketing and development of MTF and partnership tissue forms.
- Manager of instrumentation and new technologies at Stryker Howmedica Osteonics. Managed small teams in hips and knee sectors.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Member
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM International) Member
- International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery (ISASS) Member
- Advisory Board Member – UCONN School of Biomedical Engineering
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering – Purdue University
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering – Purdue University
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering/Biomedical Concentration – Purdue University
US 5,704,961: Tibial Preparation Apparatus and Method
US 7,556,650: Methods for Injecting a Curable Biomaterial into an Intervertebral Space
US 7,722,579: Devices for Injecting a Curable Biomaterial into a Intervertebral Space
US 7,740,660: Methods for Treating Defects and Injuries of an Intervertebral Disc
US 8,197,544: Method for Distracting Opposing Vertebral Bodies of a Spine
US 8,246,630: Apparatus and Method for Injecting Fluent Material at a Distracted Tissue Site
US 8,317,802: System for Distracting Opposing Vertebral Bodies of a Spine
US 8,337,557: Apparatus and Kit for Injecting a Curable Biomaterial into an Intervertebral Space
US 8,357,168: Modular Injection Needle and Seal Assembly
US 8,444,694: Methods for Injecting a Curable Biomaterial into an Intervertebral Space
US 8,535,325: Kit for Use in Sealably Injecting a Biomaterial into an Intradiscal Space
US 8,690,883: Articulating Injection Cannula and Seal Assembly
US 8,702,760: Dynamic Spinal Stabilization System
US 9,132,207: Radiopaque Injectable Nucleus Hydrogel Compositions
US 9,237,908: Dynamic Stabilization System for the Spine
US 9,549,962: Radiopaque Injectable Nucleus Hydrogel Compositions